Why are chocolate and onions bad for dogs?

Healthcare -

Why are chocolate and onions bad for dogs?

Nowadays, many people have pets in their lives. We all know that chocolate and onions are bad for dogs, so why are they harmful to dogs? What are the consequences of consuming them? This article will tell you.


The harmful effects of theobromine in chocolate

Theobromine, an ingredient in chocolate, is broken down in the human liver, but it is difficult to be broken down in the dog's liver. So it stays in the bloodstream for a long time, which is about three times longer than in the human body. This can cause adverse effects on the dog's muscles, brain, heart and other organs.


When a dog accidentally ingests chocolate it can lead to vomiting, seizures, and even heart failure or nerve damage. For some small breeds, about 120 grams of chocolate may cause death, so don't let your dog eat any chocolate products! In addition, cats also can't eat chocolate.



The sulfur in onions causes anemia

Onion is food for humans, but poison for dogs because it contains a toxic ingredient, n- propel sulfide. It oxidizes hemoglobin, forming Heinz's vesicles, and the reticuloendothelial system engulfs red blood cells containing Heinz's vesicles in large quantities, impairing the functioning of red blood cells and causing acute homiletic anemia, as well as damaging bone marrow and affecting oxygen delivery.


After the dog eats onion, adverse reaction occurs after several days. Not only onions but also plants of the onion genus (leeks, garlic, etc.) contain oxidizing sulfur, which destroys red blood cells and causes anemia in organisms with insufficient red blood cells. Dogs' red blood cells contain fewer antioxidants than those of humans. It's not just solid onions, but onions cooked into a soup can cause the same adverse reactions in dogs.



The red blood cells supply oxygen to the whole body. The "hemoglobin" inside the red blood cells is the carrier of oxygen. Allyl propyl disulfide oxidizes the hemoglobin molecule inside the red blood cells and clumps them.


Also, cats should not be fed feline food because their hemoglobin structure is easier to oxidation compared to other animals. Hemoglobin can damage the cell membranes of red blood cells, which can cause severe anemia. Red blood cell abnormalities can be detected by microscopic observation.